Home > Front Page > Birds of a Feather…

Birds of a Feather…

June 3, 2011

Bill's newest book and his famous bacon jam!

Last night I made the trip to Portland’s own Murder By the Book to celebrate the release of Bill Cameron’s fourth book, County Line.  It was a win-win kind of night…I supported a local indi book store, heard Bill read a bit of the new book and listened to him play his ukelele.  Perhaps one of the best parts was reading how he signed my copy:  “To Quickie!  Such a delight to become friends with you!” And it is delightful.  Delightful to have found another person in this world to add to my list of “people I know and care about”.  How about you?  How long is your list?  Because most folks in this world have a list of those who matter, connected by blood or that even thicker connection I like to think of as the “feathers of my heart.”

Everybody I know has something that partially defines them and through which many of their friendships arise.  Perhaps they play as sport or a musical instrument or board games.  It doesn’t matter what the activity is, just that there are activities.  I believe it is through the doing of life that we find the living of life.  And those who live it amongst us are often the folks who become members of our “found” family.  Birds of a feather and all that.

It has taken me a long while, but it seems I am finally finding who I am through finding what really energizes me.  And the folks who share my love of story-telling are the birds of my feathers of my heart.

There are lots and lots of writers and storytellers feathering my world these days.  Some write science fiction and fantasy, some write young adult, some write non-fiction, some write comedy sketches.  Some are bloggers and some are technical writers.  Some are funny and some are serious.  But all of them share something with me…they know what it is like to have a story that begs telling.  They know about the long hours spent alone making sense out of the worlds and people that live only in our heads.

One of the blogging folk I care about was looking for guest bloggers a few weeks ago and since I know how nice it is to have folks help out with the blog while trying to “vacation” I was happy to write a quick post and send it to Kelly at “Dances with Chaos”.  It went live yesterday (read it here) and I was touched by her preamble to the piece.  I am honored to hear from folks about what bits of my writing resonate with them.  So often we toil in what feels like a void – whether you are a writer or a cog in the corporate machine.  But the void is actually not void.  Instead, when we peek about the place, we are able to see all the folks toiling right along side of us.

I have a feeling that Gertrude Stein knew what I do…that when the birds of a feather all roost together, they are better.  When those birds of a feather fly together, taking turns being the lead navigator, we are able to fly longer, conserve more energy, and keep track of those flying alongside us.

So no matter who you are or where you are going, find some birds of a feather to journey with you.  It will make all the difference.

1. June 3, 2011 at 10:03 am

I have not been in the Flock all that long, but long enough to know well what you mean. I’m really sorry to have missed that reading at Murder By the Book (@mbtb). Not just because I wanted to support Bill @bcmystery Cameron, but because I wanted to see you all.

You see, my Twitter friends, my “Tweeps” pretty much ARE my friends. All my friends.

2. June 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

D’oh! That last was only half a comment. stupid laptop. To continue where I left off –

It seems like a sad thing to say that my Twitter friends are pretty much ALL my friends. There are a number of reasons of course. And on one hand, that’s true. On the other hand, it’s great thing that on twitter even normally shy introverts can have friends, can be friends, of which you are very much one.

One of the reasons why this happens and why this works is because on Twitter birds of a feather can find others of their kind they otherwise would not have the opportunity to meet. This seems especially true of writers, because the medium lends itself so well to what writers do.

I know it sounds trite, but in some very good ways Titter has changed my life for the better. I know I’m not the only one. How many times have you read, or written for that matter, “I love my Tweeps!”

Long live Twitter, and may we all continue to prosper there.

I often tell people “thanks for posting this”. In this case it’s doubly applicable because you’ve written so well about something near and dear to my heart. Hope to get to see you and Bill and my other Tweeps at the next local event.

Thanks Kristina.

• June 3, 2011 at 10:21 am

You are very much one of my feathered friends John! Here’s to a long flight with great views! :)

3. June 3, 2011 at 11:47 am

Cheers! I love being part of this flock. :)

4. June 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I lurve you guys.

5. June 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm

You’re a lucky lady, Quickie! :)

6. June 3, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Glad you liked my preamble, I’ve always found intro’s to be my weakness. I hope I did you justice.

I admit to lurking, a strong distaste for typing out comments on touchpad devices where I do the majority of my blog reading.

I love your missives and only wish I’d lived closer to see you perform in person. :-)

And Twitter…. You were the one who helped bring it to life for me, answering the inane questions as I tried to figure out the point.

Glad to join your flock, even if my flight path stays in Texas…

7. June 6, 2011 at 9:04 am

What a beautiful way to put it – your flock! I love the notion that you roost together! I am always open to a new friendship, as you never know where one will pop up. In fact, I have met a few kindred spirits through my blog. The fact that we have never met in person, yet we can connect through our writing is wonderful!

1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,330 other followers